A few quick notes on this before sunrise:
- I still don't think we've seen the real Jeff Karstens yet, but I don't care.
- Dejan agrees. Just take it in, and savor it. Shout it at the top of your lungs.
- The Pirates are the top headline several websites right now, including the Trib and MLB.com. The Post-Gazette currently deems a house covered in solar panels more newsworthy.
- Josh Harrison might have the quickest release of any third baseman in the game right now. I'd love to see comparative numbers on this.
- Alex Presley's OBP since his recall is .422. Small sample size, but man, that guy looks like a leadoff hitter.
- Andrew McCutchen's OBP is a legit .390. And with the Joses Bautista and Reyes injured, he currently has the highest WAR of any active position player in the game. Whether you're of the opinion that the league MVP should be the player most valuable to his team, or the best player overall, there is no logic by which this man is not the National League's most valuable player right now.
- Chase d'Arnaud started a 6-4-3 double play last night by flipping the ball backhanded to Neil Walker at second, and for a split second, I thought I saw Jack Wilson.
- Yes, the Astros are terrible, and the Pirates have some very tough games coming up after this series. But seriously ask yourself: Is Milwaukee really that much better than the Bucs? Is St. Louis?